Monday, July 21, 2008

The "Threat Food"

Once upon a time, when I was just a wee lassie, my mother used to threaten me.
I would ask her, "Mom, what's for dinner??" and she would respond, "liver and onions!" to which I would shrivel up my nose in disgust and go, "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww."

Fast forward to September, 2007. It is the end of my Pre-Service Training for the Peace Corps in South Africa, and I am on my site visit (the first time that I got to see my new home, Setlagole). I am staying at my principal's house, and it is time to cook dinner. I figured I would endear myself to her a little, and cook dinner for us. I ask her what I should cook. She tells me that there are some chicken livers in the freezer. Hmmm.

Well, I had never cooked chicken livers before, so I ask how I should prepare them. She tells me I should cut up an onion and fry them together. (Understand that I hated onions up until coming here to South Africa)

So there I was
cooking up some liver and onions

the food that my mother used to amuse herself with by threatening to cook it for us for dinner


the food that I later used to threaten the children that I worked with for snack time.




But guess what, everybody? It's actually pretty delicious.

4 comments:

Jerky Supplier said...

I'll pass, thanks!

Mom said...

I told you so and good for you toooo. Next you must try chicken feet my all time favorit.

Megan said...

already done that! They're pretty good. I just wish it wasn't pure fat, otherwise I'd be cooking them everyday. Necks are pretty good for stews.

They sell a package of chicken parts at the store called "Walky Talky" and it is made up of chicken feet and heads.

I'm a little scared of the heads.

Don't want to get Mad Bird Flu.

Megan said...

also- Soya ... I'll cook you some when I get home. You're gonna be so surprised.