Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Advantage of the Bucket Bath

So. The bucket bath. Let me tell you about it. First, you fill your basin up with about 2 inches of water. You wash your face. Then, with a cup of water set aside to rinse, you stick your head in and wash your hair (this can be very tricky.) If you're lucky, you have a basin big enough to sit in- and by sitting in it, I don't mean fitting your entire body in it, you probably hang your feet outside of it, which is fine because you want to wash those last. Scrub-a-dub-dub away, and then you can towel off and step in and wash your feet. The details change, but that is more or less the typical procedure for the bucket bath.

Let me tell you the coolest part of the bucket bath: it's the filthy water at the end. Yeah, it's kind of gross that you are using progressively nastier water as you go, but at the end ... at the end you see just exactly how much dirt has come off of your body. You sure don't get that satisfaction after you shower! So to all you suckers out there, taking showers: I pity you.

In other news: I got my first "you're getting too fat!" comment from my host mother yesterday. I believe that 90% of the female trainees have received a comment of the sort since arriving- for a while I was feeling a little left out. I mean, I am not so sure that I am really gaining so much weight! But it is definitely plausible ... I do eat about a loaf of bread every day (not an exaggeration. ) And it is not intended as an insult- it is supposed to be a compliment. "Oh you're enjoying Motswedi so much! You're eating so well!" Etc.

People are quick here to comment on weight. It can be pretty uncomfortable for an American broad to hear it, but keeping in mind how differently shape is perceived here can be also pretty relieving- there is a ridiculous pressure to be thin put on us in the States, and that is simply not the case here. Still though- shut up, okay.

6 comments:

Texasuncle said...

Remember those days well. Did it every saturday in North Dakota. (don't bother asking your mom, she's too young to remember) At least you don't have to worry about the water freezing before you finish. :) Good hearing from you; stay well and stay in touch.

Mom said...

Hey that guy from Texas doesn't know what he is talking about. I used the bathwater before he did. All the same water, youngest to oldest. Small sq. tube in fromt of the old cook stove. This is kind of bad but one day when he was mean to me, Grandma was washing his hair, I peeked around the corner and confessed to peeing in the water his reaction was cute!

Soya said...

Megan, you do realize that they are basically trying to steal your thunder!!! =o =)

Megan said...

Hey listen here farm folk ... I think Soya is right here. Maybe you two turkeys can start your own urine-filled website and just let me have my slightly smelly glory!

Kaia said...

WOW! you get to take baths in a bucket? im so jealous! i do believe it would be satisfying to see how dirty i used to be.

well, i just wanted to say hi! and tell you that i miss you like a fat kid (you) misses cake. i signed up for this stupid blog thingy just for you and just so you know, my password strength is "strong!!" oh, youre welcome!

Megan said...

Oh Kaia my dear- i would have expected nothing less of you. I also miss you a lot. Please write emails to update me about your life, okay?